Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Getting the Bum's Rush

I am now officially out of P.T. My physical therapist noticed that my rehab doc had neglected to send him a copy of my prescription. I don't need him to tell me to exercise. I just needed his guidance as to which exercises would help me. Going to P.T. was getting to be a drag anyway, so I'm glad to be out of there.
My acupuncture guy has also decided I've gotten as much as his therapy can give me. He also gave me exercises. And I think I can duplicate most of the effects of acupuncture by lying on a soft baseball over the correct spots. Yay! One more office visit I can do without. And expenses I can also do without.

Major victory of the day -- I took my flippers to the pool again today. My legs seem to have figured out what to do with them. I swam 1/2 a mile in the time it usually takes me to swim 1/3 of a mile, and I wasn't tired afterwards.

In the changing room I tested my ability to climb two-steps-at-a-time by stepping up onto the bench. I did it, so I saved face in front of the other clothes-changing-women, but it was more difficult than I'd thought it would be. The woman at the nearest locker giggled with me about our efforts to stand on one foot with our eyes closed. She has a competition going with her husband. So far, he's winning.

And my victory of the week. I went to a yoga class where everybody was standing on their heads. I have a head-stand gadget that I've used for the past 15 years. But I didn't have a moment's hesitation -- of course I could still stand on my head without the aid of my gadget. And I could. This is totally unlike everything else I've thought I could do in yoga class and discovered that my legs aren't as strong as they used to be, or as balanced as they used to be, and my back isn't as flexible as it used to be. But yoga isn't what it used to be either. They have props, and the teachers know how to modify the poses so everybody can get the stretching and strengthening even if they can't do the official pose. I'm so glad the world of exercise has figured out how to work with what we have instead of insisting that we look like the folks who get their pictures in magazines.

No comments:

Post a Comment