Thursday, May 7, 2009

Telling the Medical Profession How to do its Job

I'm feeling gloomy this morning. It's rainy. My hip hurts. And it occurs to me that in many ways I'm in worse shape now than before I went for microcurrent physical therapy.  I have paid in every possible way for my mistake in seeking this therapy: Pain, Time, Money, Emotional Freakouts, and a difficult vacation in which I was not able to do things I had looked forward to because, thanks to microcurrent therapy, my legs weren't as strong as they'd been when I signed up for the trip. Not strong enough to climb monuments or go for multi-mile hikes.

I've sent guidelines for the proper use of microcurrent therapy to both rehab doc and the company that trains therapists how to use the machine:

1) when you reach your goal, STOP
2) if you detect any decrease in strength, STOP

It seems to me that these guidelines should apply to any therapy. I don't think they are radical or extreme.

Rehab doc has not promised to apply my guidelines for future customers. He merely says he'll consider them. He hasn't apologized for all the problems the therapy has caused me.  I didn't even give him rule #3: Try LOW-Tech first when possible. Bolsters are the first thing to try when you want joint flexibility.  That's what I'm using now.

How much effort should I put into trying to prevent microcurrent from harming others? Do I just wait and hope it never does hurt anybody else? (Rehab doc claims I'm the only one.) Or do I hope that the next person it hurts is litigious? I don't want to waste my time going to court. Let somebody else do it?

The weakness from the microcurrent wound up causing a compression injury in my hip. Rehab doc wanted to inject me with steroids.  Hey, I learned my lesson -- why didn't he learn his? No way is anybody injecting addictive poisons into my system!

When I was able to relieve the compression injury with the rope wall at the yoga studio, I wrote and told both rehab doc and physical therapist.  Physical Therapist wrote back, "that's great!" Rehab doc didn't respond at all.

I don't want to dedicate my life to teaching the medical profession how to do its job.

The point of getting physical therapy was so I could get on with my life.  And that's what I want to do -- get on with my life. I don't want to change careers and become a medical watchdog.

I can hope that other people aren't as foolish as I was and will exercise more caution when they seek medical help. I can hope that maybe rehab doc will take my advice and just not bother to tell me. And I can hope that maybe this blog will help people take  charge of their medical care, and try low-tech first.

No comments:

Post a Comment