Monday, July 6, 2009

Anti-Virus Program for my Mother

My mother lives 3000 miles from me. She calls me for tech support whenever her computer misbehaves. She’s impatient. If a document doesn’t print immediately, she clicks the print button again. Then she get upset that her printer wastes paper and ink by printing more than one copy. She has yet to memorize my basic instruction – if your computer is acting crabby, it needs a nap. Turn it off and let it rest for a minute or two. Lately, her descriptions of what’s wrong sound serious. The computer is slow. She tries to log into her email and gets a message that somebody else is using it. Her computer crashes. She uses the free AVG antivirus program. I want her to get a spyware program, too. I recommended Spybot Search & Destroy or Threatfire, both of which are free at www.download.com I copied my brother in on the email. He wants to get her a copy of Norton 360, which he says he can get for $10. I looked up the reviews of AVG and Norton 360 on the PC Magazine website. Out of 5 dots, Norton gets 4.5 and AVG gets 4.0. I don’t know if that extra half dot is worth $10. But if my brother picks out the program, he’ll have to do tech support. So, yes, I think my mother should have Norton 360. My brother lives about 400 miles from my mom. He can’t pop over and do the laying-on-of-hands to fix her computer any more easily than I can. She really should have nearby tech support. Is it too late for her to adopt a whizkid? It takes a village to supply proper tech support.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, thanks for visiting. I regularly call my daughter-in-law or sister for computer related hiccups. These wonder machines should be a lot easier to operate/troubleshoot, but then perhaps they would not do the amazing tasks we want them to.

    ReplyDelete