Wednesday, August 12, 2009

For the First Time in my Life, a Deadline is Scary

Deadlines have never bothered me. I always get my work done early. Plenty of time to polish and correct. No school or business assignment was ever late. Until now. I'm supposed to reformat a book of magnet activities and I want to enter a mystery contest with a deadline of August 30. The magnet activity book can wait. The mystery cannot.

But I am not me. I'm sleeping overtime. I didn't get up until 7 this morning, instead of my usual 4 AM. I go to bed early. I even take naps. This healing up from getting hit by a car is not something I can schedule for next month.

I contacted my co-author. I've already done the first draft. I've written the plot outline. Could she help? She's swamped with other obligations.

I called my mom. "I'm sure you can do it."
Okay, she's learned. She didn't used to be so sure I could meet my deadlines. But now that she's convinced, I'm not so sure. I'm not sure I should be taking time from working on my mystery to write this blog entry. But I need a break. I just cut out a scene that I thought was funny, but that doesn't forward the plot.

Okay, this is enough of a break. I also took a break earlier to go buy milk at the corner store. A half gallon of milk weighs 4 lbs. That's the maximum I can carry. I carried it for 3 blocks. Back to work. If I don't meet that deadline, it won't be because I goofed off. I don't do that. But I do sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment