Saturday, August 1, 2009

I Walked My Dog

Yes, I know. This sounds trivial. But I held his leash for the first time since the accident. Petruccio is not a good dog. You could guess that from his name. He's named for the most famous rejected suitor in literature. The cad from Taming of the Shrew. We got him because Buffy, the wonder dog, was lonely after Dante died. We took her to the animal shelter and she picked Petruccio. At that time his name was Cappucino. First thing, he tried to mount her, and she growled him off. Immediately we changed his name.
He's not an easy dog to walk. He tugs. He runs. Then he suddenly stops to sniff something or to grab a piece of garbage from the sidewalk. You have to have very good balance and strong arms to walk him. And I haven't had that. But yesterday, I decided to try. My husband walked with me, ready to run after Petruccio if I dropped the leash. Maybe Petruccio can tell I'm not my usual ferocious self. He didn't try any of his trickier stunts. He didn't even test my balance or my yanking power by trying to run into the street. As I said, he's not a good dog. He was about 8 when we got him and he was not then and is not now house-trained. But Buffy loved him, and we will take care of him for the rest of his life. He's abut 16 now. He's strong. He's fast. He's ornery and he's sneaky. And I'm getting there. In order to walk him I have to be stronger, faster, more ornery and more sneaky. I did it. I'm torn -- I want to be capable of handling his worst. On the other hand, I wish he would become a better dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment