Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sedona Method Day #2

The Sedona Method book assigns readers to make a wish list of everything you want to be, do, and have. The book says not to limit yourself to what you think is possible. List what you want if you could have it ALL.

Here’s what I have so far:

My screenplay becomes hit movie in the movie theaters.
Actually lots of my screenplays become hit movies
My books are best sellers, and really good, too. (I know some books sell well, but aren’t enjoyable reads.)
My body is strong healthy, comfortable, and flexible.
I am paid at or higher than standard professional rates for my work.
I have strong loving relationships with family and friends and pets.
My husband and I take wonder-filled first class vacations all over the world, several times a year.
My husband and I spend a week on the space station, floating around at zero gravity, and take a space walk.
My storytelling skills continually improve.
My magic skills continually improve.
I develop my magical storytelling into a popular commercially successful event.
My science teaching videos become a popular series, and I get help from other innovative science teachers making them even more fun.
See the world sanely – so if somebody says or does something I don’t like, I act appropriately. If I can stop it, I do. I don’t waste my energy in fear and anger.

Most of the rest of chapter 2 is a variety of reminders to remember to release as soon as you notice something is bugging you.

What bugged me today? Having to take the bus. Particularly on the way home from swimming, when I had to wait half an hour for a bus that is supposed to come every 15 minutes. Eventually another passenger came and sat beside me on the bench. We grouched together for a while about how late the bus was. Then she mentioned that she usually drives, but today she took the bus. I told her I usually bike, but I can’t until I recover from the accident. She asked if I’m getting my life back, so I bragged that I went swimming. “You bike and swim?” she asked. I told her I’m an exercise junky. Then I asked her what kind of exercise she likes to do. She likes to roller blade, but she hasn’t done it since her son was born. That was 18 years ago. “That just means you got out of the habit,” I told her. She agreed and even said she could go roller blading with her son. She looked happy talking about it. And it’s impossible to be grouchy when somebody is enthusiastic about a subject I enjoy.

Then I was reminded about rotten rehab doc, when I read about how doctors witnessed torture at Abu Graib. RRD administered the torture. He didn’t just watch. I wrote to him twice and talked to him once. He didn’t see why what he did was wrong. And now I can’t go to the rehab center he is associated with, because I sent a letter to his department chair.

Okay. I have no control over what RRD thinks or does. I have no control over what his department does. And I have a perfectly good rehab department helping me get my body back. It costs more and it takes longer to get there. But it is doing the job. So I really have nothing important to grouch about. That conclusion took a lot of work. But that’s the point. Do the work and stop being angry. As the book says, “I am not anger.”

The book has several other quotes I find useful:

Could I let go of wanting others to agree with me about my having this problem?
Could I let go of wanting approval for the problem?
Stop rushing past life. Begin to approach your life as if you have all the time in the world.
Even when you are working on a particular problem, allow yourself to look for where the problem isn’t.
Would I rather understand my problems, or just be free of them?

The book has techniques to help people release based on their dominant communication mode (seeing, hearing, touching). My dominant mode is touching. The book suggests I put a hand on my solar plexus or my lower abdomen, where ever I feel the stress, and release the physical sensations.

The book also suggests alternating your focus. Experience your problem memories (pictures, sounds, sensations). And then switch to what is here now. Switch back and forth and the book says your mind will gain clarity. It is fascinating that problems that are not here NOW can feel so immediate, even if they are months or years old.

And the book says to consider releasing as a “game of exploration of everything that is truly possible for you.”

I don’t see the connection between seeing things in a way that does not trigger anger, and the amazing wish list. It was fun to write the wish list. I really would love to be / do / have everything on it. I’m only on day 2. If there is a connection, you’ll see it in future blog entries.

No comments:

Post a Comment