Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sedona Method Day #10

Friday night I received an email informing me that my yoga center just closed. I enjoy this yoga center. I just bought a 50-lesson package. The center says I can go to their New York branch for the rest of my lesson package. They have to be kidding! They think I’ll commute more than 2 hours each way for a yoga lesson. One of the reasons I picked this center is that they were conveniently located. I figure asking for a refund is probably hopeless. So, I asked for a section of their rope wall. So far no answer. It was nice to be able to deal with this unpleasant news without freaking out. Sedona Method is helping.

The eighth or penultimate emotion in Sedona Method is Acceptance.

According to the book, when we experience Acceptance, we enjoy everything as it is. We feel no desire to change anything.

This is an experiment. If it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work.

This is the most daunting assignment yet. I’m having trouble wrapping my mind around accepting everything as it is. I am working on getting my strength and flexibility back. I wouldn’t be working at it if I could accept the current condition of my body. Or is the SM course asking me just to accept that I am working on it, knowing that the universe is in constant flux and I may or may not reach my goal? If the latter, it’s possible. In fact, it’s not really a choice. I’ve learned that much so far in this course.

But then the book goes on to say how energetic and happy people feel when they experience Acceptance. I’m so glad this is an experiment. I am not required to get the specific result that the book promises. It’s just a book. What works for one author might not work for another.

Words that SM uses to describe Acceptance include:
beautiful, belonging, delight, compassion, empathy, friendly, glowing, gracious, intuitive, playful, understanding, loving, wonder.

This description looks like exactly what I want! If I could feel like that – that is my definition of happy.

The book says to remember when you or someone you know felt like that.

I have occasional flashes of what feels like deep insight, in which I hear in two modes simultaneously. I hear the surface anger and I also hear the underlying concern. I’ve read that successful sales people hear objections as an invitation to explain more about the product. This is beyond that because the simultaneous hearing mode has no agenda and the overwhelming emotion is compassion mixed with joy.

Yes, I know compassion usually seems like concern for others in a serious mode. But when I have these flashes, I do not feel serious. Everything seems possible. Things that used to bother me seem like jokes that I just didn’t get at the time.

Like courageousness, SM says this is a natural state. Unlike courageousness, it is not a frequent experience. It’s just the occasional flash.

The assignment: remember what it was like to feel Acceptance. Since I’m a tactile person, I need to conjure up the physical feeling. First of all, I remember that during those flashes, there was no physical pain. Once I was so startled to be free of pain that I had a momentary thought about kicking something to see if my toes would hurt, but I didn’t do it. I don’t know how to switch off pain. But something in my body does. Hey, I don’t know how to make my heart beat, but something in my body does.

I can accept the fact that a state exists in which I am free of pain both emotional and physical and in which I hear on two levels at once. I know it exists. But I can’t conjure it, so I can’t let it go.

I will continue with this experiment. Maybe a future chapter will have more clues. I’ve made progress in letting go of anger over the past 10 days. I’m not going to give up on further gains.

Here's a link to the book:

2 comments:

  1. Many possible interpretations, but perhaps: Accept that it happened, so you are not in continual shock and denial; accept that the work is hard taking a long time, so that you are not impatient on a daily basis; accept that the results will be what they will be. This is easier because you are seeing results now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It will be a miracle if I can master patience with myself.

    ReplyDelete