Monday, September 14, 2009

Sedona Method Day #11

A friend just explained to me that Sedona Method's definition of Pride comes from the Roman Catholic 7 Deadly Sins. This was a gap in my education. If anybody out there understands the SM definition of Peace, please help me out here, too.

Peace. That’s the final emotion in the Sedona Method system. According to SM, when we experience Peace, our minds are clear, we have lots of energy, but there is nothing we want to do. We are content that “Life is as it is, and all is well.”

Words SM uses to describe Peace include:
ageless, awareness, calm, centered, complete, fulfilled, perfection, still, unlimited.

I’m not impressed. This is the pinnacle of what the course teaches, and I’m not sure I want it. So much is wrong with this world. Wars. Starvation. Disease. Violence. Hatred. It seems like treason to the inhabitants of this planet to think of this world as perfect.

On the other hand, it would be great to live in a perfect world. Does SM actually work like a Star Trek transporter and put you in a different world? I don’t want blinders. I don’t want to ignore the bad parts of this world, or avoid them. All I started out wanting was to stop being angry, or feeling anger. I feel like I’m making progress in that direction. Now, I’m picking nits with the book because the author recommends something that makes no sense to me.

The book says not to worry if you aren’t there yet. What the author, Hale Dwoskin, hopes the reader has learned by this point is that you are not your emotions. You have emotions. But instead of saying, “I am angry,” you can now say, “I feel angry.” You are not anger, but you can feel anger. And you can let it go. It’s just an emotion.

The book gives the example of holding a pen or pencil. Hold it tight. Squeeze it in your hand. Now, let it go. Drop it. It may feel strange, but you can do this. An emotion is no more you than that pen or pencil. You can get in the habit of holding it. But you can also decide to let release it.
Emotions are just emotions. They are not you. They are not facts. They are thoughts, and you can change your thoughts.

The assignment at the end of this section is to practice noticing when you feel an emotion, and then practice letting it go. Be gentle with yourself. Allow the feelings to be there and recognize them. Then, when you are ready, release them. That's all great, but what has it got to do with experiencing this world as perfect?

Here's a link to the book:

The Sedona Method: Your Key to Lasting Happiness, Success, Peace and Emotional Well-Being

No comments:

Post a Comment