Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sedona Method Day #12

This Sunday my husband carried my bike downstairs so I could bike to a computer job. When I got home, he carried it upstairs again for me. If I think about the 5 lb lifting limit I’ve been living with for the past month (it was even less before that) I’ll get grouchy. That’s the key – think about now. Don’t think about your story. Don’t interpret your story. Just keep going.

The 4th chapter of Sedona Method is about Resistance.
Early in the chapter Dwoskin asks the reader to pick one hand as the pushing hand and the other hand as the resisting hand. Place the hands together. Notice how the resisting hand feels. Switch. Again, notice how the resisting hand and arm feel. That feeling is resistance.

Next think about something you are supposed to do that you don’t want to do. Notice if you feel that same resisting sensation anywhere in your body. Welcome that feeling. Then ask yourself, Would you let it go? When?

According to SM, resistance slows us down. Resistance even keeps us from doing things we want to do. I had planned to go to a local storytelling group Sunday afternoon. But I forgot all about it until half an hour after I should have caught the bus. I want to go to this group. I want to hear stories and I want to sign up to practice my own stories. But something in me resisted and I didn’t go. With SM, I don’t need to figure out what I’m resisting. I just need to let it go.

SM says even things you don’t want to do become easier once you let go of resistance.

I have a dog who is afraid of all other dogs, so when we walk him, he tries to attack any dog he sees. He is also bossy. The sign on his pen at the animal shelter where we got him said he was house-trained. He’s not. And worst of all, when he wants something he has a high-pitched nagging bark. When I hear this bark, my arms get tense, just like when I’m pushing and resisting.
SM says to welcome the resistance and let it go.

Easier said than done. But now that I know to pay attention to my tension, I can do something to help myself and help my dog. This action is a source of compassion.

SM points out that you can’t feel somebody else pushing on you. You can only feel your own resistance. The assignment is to make a list of things you are supposed to do and write down how you feel about them. Then release on the feelings, no matter what they are.

My ouchercises fear of pain
fixing computers lust for approval and payment
walking my dog anger if he barks
writing this blog fear of the process and my own thoughts

Even just admitting these feelings helps me release them.

But then comes the final assignment in the chapter. Look at the wish list and figure out the resistance to each of them. Dwoskin promises that releasing the resistance will make each item on the wish list easier to achieve, just like the supposed to list. That’s my assignment for tomorrow.

Here's a link to the book:

No comments:

Post a Comment