Saturday, September 19, 2009

Sedona Method Day #16

Job was G-d’s lab rat. G-d’s lab partner, Satan, came over for a drink. The two of them started placing bets on how well Job could get through a maze of difficulties. Take away his animals, his crops, his children, his home, his health. When Job complained, there was no protection for human experimental subjects organization to come to his rescue. And when the experiment was over, and G-d collected his winnings, he gave Job’s stuff back. While crops are indistinguishable, and his health restored was just fine, he didn’t get the same animals, the ones he knew and loved – he got new ones. And his wife had to get pregnant 10 more times!

According to Sedona Method, the real reasons we are unhappy are perceived lacks. We feel a lack of approval, control, and security. Job ransacked his mind – had he done something to lose G-d’s approval? He couldn’t think of anything. And as the story is told, Job was picked for this experiment because he was considered the Best. Yikes – if this is how G-d treats the best experimental lab rat, what’s the point in being the best?

Job had no control over anything that G-d took from him. But Job had security. G-d placed one limitation on Satan. He could not kill Job. You can call that security if you want. And Job never cursed G-d. He cursed the day he was born, the days his children were born, the days he planted his crops. But he never cursed G-d who put him in this maze and set up his torments.

Within the terms of this story, I am not as good a rat as Job. For that, I am thankful.

According to SM, the goal here is to let go of the sense of lack. There’s nothing wrong with having approval, control and security. The pain comes from feeling a lack of them. SM also claims that there is perfection in the seeming imperfection that we seem to see.

All we think we know of the universe comes through our senses. All our senses can hallucinate. We cannot know what is real. We can only know what we think. And I’ve been learning that a lot of what I think makes no sense.

Why do I want to have my movies on the big screen? It’s really an approval issue. It would prove that my stories are truly entertaining, as I think they are.

SM asks, what if I could feel that approval, that level of happiness, without getting the movies on the big screen? Is that possible? Probably. I’ve had experiences of total happiness that had no logical basis. And I’ve read stories of people who are Hollywood successes who are unhappy. So, maybe there is no logical connection between success and happiness. SM asks that I let go of wanting approval.

I like to think that I do that a lot. When I’m writing, I create stories for the pure fun of it. But when I send my work out into the world, I have an agenda. I’m looking for a connection that will put my stories out there where audiences will approve of them. And yes, I am unhappy that I don’t have that approval, that success.

I can feel and see that the ouchercises I’m doing are giving me greater range of motion for my left arm. I can see where the SM exercises have relieved me of a great deal of anger. But I thought the SM book promised that these exercises were going to help me accomplish my goals.. Now the book wants me to be happy without that goal? Yes, I want to be happy. And true, I don’t really care where the happiness comes from. But SM claims the easiest way to get what you want is to stop caring if you get it.

That’s a weird mindset. I suspect Job would have understood it.

Here's where to get a copy of the book:

No comments:

Post a Comment