Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sedona Method Day #17

In celebration of the New Year, I made an apple cake. Actually, I made two of them because we were going to visit a Chinese family, and they don’t enjoy chocolate. (Normally I bring chocolate when I go visiting.) One of the other guests marveled that this cake tasted just like the one his grandmother used to make. This surprised me because I use whole wheat flour, and his grandmother was from the same generation as my mother, who used white flour. Also, I use safflower oil, which has a distinctive taste. My mother used a generic vegetable oil. And I used fuji apples which weren’t available when he was a child. But, I’ll take a compliment when I can get it – at least I think that was a compliment. (Another Wanting Approval issue.)

Apple Cake
6 apples, (about 1 quart of chopped apple)
1 tablespoon cinnamon
5 tablespoons sugar
2 3/4 cups flour, sifted
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
4 eggs
1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a silicone bundt pan with no-stick spray

Peel, core and chop apples into chunks. Toss with cinnamon and sugar and set aside.
Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, orange juice, sugar and vanilla. Mix wet ingredients into the dry ones, then add eggs, one at a time. Scrape down the bowl to ensure all ingredients are incorporated.
Pour half of batter into prepared pan. Spread half of apples over it. Pour the remaining batter over the apples and arrange the remaining apples on top. Bake for about 1 1/2 hours, or until a tester comes out clean.

I finally have the process of getting a bundt cake out of the mold under control. I bought a silicone bundt pan. It’s soft and flexible and you can turn it inside out if necessary. This year my apple cake came out gorgeous! In Sedona Method terms, I no longer WANT control. I HAVE control. This is one of those problems that can be solved by throwing money at it.


Today’s assignment is to list things I want to control and describe how I feel about them. Then list situations in which I want to be controlled, and how I feel about them. And then, release on the whole thing.

I want to instantly heal my body
I want my dog to do his urinating outside
I want Hollywood folks to produce my movies
I want my children to like me and be nice to me

In short, I want the world to be the way I want it to be. I want to be free of pain both mentally and physically. Not just free of pain but free of nuisances, and annoyances. And I know I can’t have that, so wanting it is illogical. So, the only way to handle this is to go about my days, asking for what I want, with full respect for the other people involved that it might not be right for them. But I have no idea how to communicate with my dog. I just can’t release my idea that he should be housetrained, even though I know from 9 years experience that he can’t be. I guess we’re equally stubborn. I want to feel respected and appreciated.

As for wanting to be controlled. That’s hard. But when I hire somebody to fix my washing machine and get that stuck sock out, I want to be told, “Yes, I can do it, and No, I don’t want your help.” When I go to the chiropractor, I want to be rearranged so I’m no longer in pain. I want to be able to hire people I trust to do things that affect my life. This is two-way. I want the control over whom I hire and then I want them to be in control. I want to feel safe.

Get a copy of the Sedona Method book here:

No comments:

Post a Comment