Monday, September 21, 2009

Sedona Method Day #18

Yay! My collar bone is growing back. I'm now allowed to carry my bike down the 3 stairs to the sidewalk, and back up again. This is a huge piece of getting my life back! Jock-doc gave me a new prescription for physical therapy so I can have new exercises that strengthen as well as stretch. PT handed me a pair of 5 lb dumbbells. I immediately lifted them over my head in a victory salute. PT freaked. "Don't lift things over your head until at least 4 months after the accident. My wife didn't listen to me and it took her longer to heal."

"But, Jock-doc said I could lift 5 lb weights and I've been doing it..."

"Jock-doc didn't know what you were doing with them."

PT also didn't like how I exercise my obliques, but I specifically showed that one to Jock-doc and all Jock-doc did was correct my arm position. Hands on shoulders, arms folded across chest.

I'm getting my life back! And everybody is bugging me to sue the hospital for showing me somebody else's x-ray. What for? It was a simple mistake. I don't want to be sued for every mistake I make. I accidentally broke a client's motherboard and had to order a replacement. It took a week longer than I'd promised to fix her computer. I bought her an extra RAM chip to try to make up for it. I apologized (which is more than any doctor has ever done for me). But she still could have sued me.

Every profession can make mistakes. I don't think we should go around suing each other over every little thing. There is no evidence that having this surgery is in any way going to make a difference in my life. It's a problem that can be fixed by a simple change in the software that displays x-rays on computer screens. I've written to the company that makes the software. They are talking to doctors.

I don't want to waste a minute of my life suing somebody, when they can't give me what I want. I want my life back. Now, if the hospital had a time machine and I could go back and undo the accident, and the only way to get access to the time machine was to sue them, I'd be there with a lawsuit in hand. But in all likelihood, if they had that time machine, they'd be charging a fee to use it and my medical insurance would be thrilled to pay for it if it was cheaper than spending time in the hospital and having surgery, and then follow-up visits and rehab.

All of which brings me to today's Sedona Method experiment. More variations on letting go of my desire to control things / people / time / random events. When my husband and I went to pick up the carshare car, neither of us had brought the keyfob that unlocks the door. We had to go home again. I looked at my watch. I saw that we'd be about 5 or 10 minutes late. Our appointment is always 15 minutes after our check-in time, so I didn't think it would matter. I've been practicing. I didn't go into my usual self-kicking mode of "why didn't I bring my keyfob?" Here was a situation I instantly recognized as out of my control. But I could control myself.
This stuff is not theoretical, and not just confined to reliving past miseries. It works right now, when I can remember to use it.

Get the Sedona Method book here:

The Sedona Method: Your Key to Lasting Happiness, Success, Peace and Emotional Well-Being

No comments:

Post a Comment