Saturday, September 26, 2009

Sedona Method Day #23

As a former teacher, I have the fantasy that facts are useful when trying to convince someone that what they believe has no basis. Hey, I have to try.

So, I fell for the bait when a twitter correspondent said that the biggest threat to freedom is the US is big-nanny government. I replied that I see the biggest threat as our government treating everybody like terrorists. He replied that defense is a legitimate function of government. I responded that executing innocent people and treason like the PATRIOT act are not legitimate functions of government.

He asked me to name innocents who have been executed. I gave him: Ethel Rosenberg, Nicola Sacco, Bartolomeo Vanzetti, Joe Hill, Mary Surratt, August Spies, Albert Parsons, Adolph Fischer, George Engel, Louis Lingg, Michael Schwab, Samuel Fielden.

Why did I try? My correspondent imagines that Ethel Rosenberg was a Soviet Spy, even though there was never any evidence against her. And that supposed drawing of a nuclear bomb that Julius gave the KGB is so inaccurate that any physics student would know it couldn’t work. Was Julius trying to mislead the Soviets with a purposely misleading drawing? We’ll never know. But being married to a possible prankster is not a crime, and certainly not grounds for execution.

Sacco and Vanzetti were anarchists, not murderers and bank robbers. They should have been protected by the 1st Amendment.

Joe Hill was a union organizer.

Mary Surratt was a landlady. A tenant gave her a gun to give to John Wilkes Booth. He didn’t tell her why. And under the 2nd Amendment, the all had the right to bear arms. But she was hung as a conspirator in the assassination of Lincoln. Dr. Samuel A. Mudd, the doctor who set John Wilkes Booth’s broken leg, escaped the death sentence by 1 vote, and got life in prison. He never knew what Booth had done, or how he broke that leg.

August Spies, Albert Parsons, Adolph Fischer, George Engel, Louis Lingg, Michael Schwab, and Samuel Fielden were German immigrants, and self-proclaimed anarchists, who happened to be at the Haymarket in Chicago when a provocateur threw a bomb at police.

No evidence was needed to convict and sentence these people to death.

Now, with the PATRIOT Act, the govt has the right and ability to spy on all of us, read our email, hunting for things they can charge us with.

Silly me. This young correspondent thinks it’s okay to execute the anarchists and the wife of a possible spy. He didn’t comment on Mary Surratt or Joe Hill. And I’m disappointed. I had fantasied that even one innocent execution would help him see the problem with a government that treats citizens like terrorists.
According to SM, I’m wasting my energy being disappointed. I enjoyed the attempt. That is what counts. I had fun. I could not control the outcome. I knew that in advance. My job is to let go of the disappointment. Then again, SM would have me let go of my disappointment if I had just been convicted falsely and lost a battle for my own life. And SM would be right. What good does being disappointed do? The whole point is to use the time and energy I have to do what I want.

Meanwhile, I had a good experience in yoga class. My teacher showed me a way to hold downward dog longer while my arms are still weak. I can rest my forehead on a bolster. This works because it moves part of my weight to my head and off my arms. I’m sure this is a metaphor for something.

Get a copy of the Sedona Method book here:




No comments:

Post a Comment