Friday, December 18, 2009

Girl in the Cafe

Yes, I'm a Netflix member. On a whim, I ordered Girl in the Cafe. When it arrived, my husband, the alien, asked, "What's it about?" I honestly didn't remember. "Does it matter?" I asked. "You can go look it up on IMDB while I set it up." He didn't care to know the plot in advance that much. Kind of like our daughters who would ask questions and when we told them we have the book where you can look it up, they always said, "It's not that important." But Girl in the Cafe is one of those movies where it's fun to be surprised. I think the title hides the plot on purpose. You can't guess from the title if the plot will have a romance or a robbery or any of the usual movie staples.

I'm not going to ruin any of the surprises. If you know the acting talent, Kelly Macdonald and Bill Nighy, you can look forward to watching them at their best. This is an important movie with nuanced characters, such as you would expect from these talented people. The author, Richard Curtis, has taken on human foibles before in Love Actually and Four Weddings and a Funeral. This is the first movie he's written that made me think, and let me care about the characters.

As a writer, I believe in the power of drama, of entertainment, to change peoples' thinking. It was a treat to experience another author's vision. Now, don't cheat and look up the plot in Wikipedia or IMDB. Just watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment