Friday, April 2, 2010

You Don't Have to Read the Book

I’m the first to admit that I’ve bought books, intending to read them, and put them aside on a shelf when a more exciting title grabbed my attention. But I never thought this was a selling point.

I mean – I never thought someone would try to sell me a book by claiming I’d benefit not from reading it, but from intending to read it, from having it in my house.

But today I received an ad – I’m quoting it verbatim – I’ve only removed anything that will identify the actual title – this is an $87 book and I have no intention of encouraging anybody to buy it. I’m certainly NOT going to buy it.

This is a VERY unique product, while it looks like a book that you might find in a book store, it is in fact way more than that... This book is a very special transformational tool to assist you in your life. Each word carries Divine energy to help you fulfill your magnificent Heart's desires and have a more joyful and prosperous life. Everyone who would like this Divine assistance who is near this book, will be supported and carried gently on their individual path of Awakening and Divine Purpose. It is based on 4 powerful talks given by [spiritual marketer] and is offered to assist you in accomplishing your Divine Life Plan. As soon as you start to read (even holding the intention of reading) you will feel these energies know you are in the presence of great wisdom and abilities. Just click on the link to order yours!

I’ve had students who thought that merely carrying the textbook home, or holding it in their hands, or placing it in their locker, would be enough to pass the class.

I’ve known people who bought books with leather bindings because they thought the books looked pretty on their shelves.

I’ve known people who bought books on the best seller list, in an attempt to keep up with the latest trends, but never found the time to read them.

But I’ve never before seen a book marketed to people with the claim that you’ll get all the benefits without reading it. Why a book? Why not a hair from the author’s head? Or perhaps some salt that she shook into an envelope. Or why anything at all? Air molecules move around this planet at an astonishing rate. There are no new air molecules and they never disappear.

Every lungful has molecules that were at one time breathed by Moses and Caesar and Cleopatra and Golda Meir. Surely some of them were breathed by this spiritual marketer. And if all that is needed is contact with him/her, then we’ve got it, already.

2 comments:

  1. It doesn't sound like a good "read"... That is true of a lot of the things that are published, these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just ridiculous. S.C.A.M., and I'm sure there are plenty of gullible folks who will buy this book for its aura.

    ReplyDelete