Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Clone by Any Other Name

Lois is a fairly unusual name.  In my high school of 4000 students, there was only one other Lois and I didn't seek her out.  I hear about another Lois now and then, but I don't seem to run into them.  These days they are mostly in their 60's and 90's.  I guess it's a generational name. 

I've come across the Lois Club on the web. Women named Lois travel together, eat together, and if their husbands come along (women named Lois tend to have long-term marriages) they wear nametags that say Husband of Lois.  According to the website, women named Lois have a lot in common, and enjoy each other's company.

I'm on vacation in KY.  Here, I finally met one!  She's in her 70's.  Her hair is cut in the same style as mine. She gardens, growing the same vegetables I grow. She has a rock collection -- bigger and better than mine. She also had a broken shoulder bone in an accident. She also enjoys crafts, and physical fitness.

Did our parents see something in us that inspired them to name us Lois?  Or did being called Lois influence our lives?

There is no way to design an experiment to find out.  But I feel like I've just met a clone.

No comments:

Post a Comment