Wednesday, August 11, 2010

This Week in Exercise

Sunday – Iyengar Yoga – learned to press the wall with my back foot during warrior poses.  This helps my balance and allows be a greater stretch between my feet.


Monday – jumped on home trampoline and worked with the wooden wobble board that I borrowed from my chiropractor


Tuesday morning – Iyengar Yoga in the morning – more wall exercises, included sloping blocks against the baseboard to support different arm positions in downward dog. 


Tuesday night – Zumba – NEVER AGAIN!!!!! It’s all deep squats and hip wiggling. It hurts too much to even think about.  I went with a neighbor who LOVED it!  After class one of the students asked if I was coming back.  I told her I’ll stick with yoga, pilates and belly dancing. She was interested in yoga if I could promise her that the teacher knew how to modify poses when she can’t get into them.  That I can promise. I wouldn’t be doing yoga if the teachers couldn’t modify the poses and let me get the stretches without being able to look like the pictures in the books.


Wednesday – We got up early and went to the hospital where my husband had a hernia repair scheduled.  He went in last Friday for the blood tests.  His potassium came back high, so they needed to run it again. They planned to cancel the surgery if his potassium was high again.  While we waited, I did my Egoscue exercises – that took half an hour.  I stood on my head.  I did downward dog. I did hamstring stretches. I did plow. I did push-ups  In all I did about 45 minutes of assorted calisthenics.  Finally, they got the blood test results back. Surgery was on.


The nurse asked what I was going to do during the 2 hours my husband was in surgery. 
 “I’m going to the gym for a swim.” 
 “Didn’t you just do calisthenics?” 
 “Yes.” 
 “I wish I knew how to do those.”  
I recommended the Beginning Egoscue DVD.  Another woman wanted to know what’s the first thing I do when I wake up.  I told her I meditate.  I sent her to www.audiodharma.org and told her to look for mindfulness.  I had no idea how much material there was on that site.  Here’s the place I recommend starting: http://www.audiodharma.org/talks-intromed.html 


Then I went to the pool and swam about half a mile.  


I'm not going to belly dancing tonight.  I'm staying home with my husband.


Tomorrow, I'm going to my Feldenkrais class.

1 comment:

  1. Meditating right after waking up would make me fall asleep again. It takes me a long time to wake up properly. Like, noon. Unless I am up and about and go to work or some other task. I admire people who can meditation on waking. I know that deep delicious sleepingess and dreaminess would call me back.

    ReplyDelete