Saturday, October 23, 2010

Conjoined Gingerbread Men



The Mütter Museum in Philadelphia is where medical science in the United States started. These early doctors were not fascinated with normal.  They concentrated their early studies on what made them curious. Conjoined twins, shrunken heads, deformities and severe injuries.  Many of their specimens are still preserved today.   They have a woman whose corpse turned to soap. And they have a gift shop where you can buy soap shaped like that corpse.  


The museum also has visiting exhibits.  They have had herbs collected by Lewis and Clark.  Right now they have bones preserved from the autopsies of Lincoln and Booth.  Of course the gift shop has items from this as well.  The gift shop has a t-shirt that says “Think Outside the Jar” featuring a drawing of a brain outside a specimen jar.  And they have cookie cutters for a conjoined gingerbread man.  That I could not resist. I made mine with whole wheat flour.


Gingerbread Roll-Out Cookies


1 cup butter ( 2 sticks)
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup powdered milk
1 egg
4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
2 TBSP ginger
½ tsp baking soda
1 cup molasses
2 TBSP hot water


Mix together. Roll out to about 1/8 inch thick. Cut out cookies. Bake at 350oF for about 10 minutes.

5 comments:

  1. This made me laugh out loud (LOL) before I even read the text -- just your title and the pic. I can't WAIT to meet you! On FaceBook I wrote about my gingerbread-pumpkin-Guinness Stout cake. I am not a big gingerbread fan, but it is amazing how it comes together. I had to grate a lot of fresh ginger to make a TBSP. Now I am making some WW Oatmeal bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that dried ginger is stronger than fresh for baking. Fresh seems stronger in stir-fry. I hope your bread came out delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cake recipe called for both fresh AND dried ginger! My bread came out great, dense and with a nice crumb. I can't eat hardly any bread/ grains any more, so every bite has to count. I put in goat milk and flax seed and some special WW pastry flour along with regular WW, no white flour at all. I have one loaf in the fridge and another, sliced, in the freezer. I got the recipe from Foodie Farm Girl, a favorite blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Freezers are a wonderful invention!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not fair that your granddaughters live so far away! But you're much closer to my grandson!
    Will I see you in DC this weekend?

    ReplyDelete