Friday, November 19, 2010

I Smell Like my Grandmother

My grandmother smelled like wintergreen. She was the only person I knew who smelled like that.


I liked her, so I didn’t mind the smell. I asked her why she smelled like that. She showed me a roll of wintergreen lifesavers, and gave me one.  It tasted awful.  I ran to the kitchen and spit it out into the garbage.


If you had to eat that horrid candy to smell like wintergreen, I wasn’t going to do it!


I tried wintergreen toothpaste.  Same thing. I spat it out. I threw away the tube.  


I like mint in general. Peppermint, chocolate mint, bergamot mint, lemon mint.  But NOT wintergreen. There is no way I’m going to put that stuff in my mouth – ever again!


Now that I’m my grandmother’s age, I have arthritis, like she had.  I read up on the web, looking for ways to treat it that don’t involve taking drugs.  The topical solution (something you can rub on from the outside) that interested me was wintergreen cream.


I bought a tube.  It works. It reduces the pain.  And, finally, I get to smell like my grandmother.

1 comment:

  1. I, for one, actually like the taste of wintergreen. But then, there are a lot of tastes I like that others tell me I must be crazy to like. ;-)

    ReplyDelete