Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I Win the Lucky Ditz of the Day Award





I live in a high crime neighborhood. I know better than to do what I did today.


I rode my bike to morning yoga.  I had my purse in my saddle bag – It had the usual – money, ID, a credit card.  As I rode, it began to snow.  I considered skipping yoga for fear that I wouldn’t be able to ride my bike afterwards. First ditzy act – I biked without checking the forecast first. If I went home now, I’d be able to put my bike in the living room and take the bus to my job.  But the snow was light – it might stop, or at least not build up very much during class. I pulled my trusty plastic sack out of my saddle bag, and tied it over my bike seat. I locked my bike to the traffic pole. Then, I hurried into the yoga center. I left my saddle bag, with purse zipped inside on my bike. I didn’t even think about it.


After class, when I gathered my things, my saddle bag wasn’t where I usually put it, near my jacket. I reviewed my earlier actions – I had no memory of removing the saddle bag from my bike. Surely by now, somebody else had done the honors.


I opened the door to the yoga center planning how I was going to replace my ID, buy a new saddle bag, call the credit card company – and WOW AMAZING – the snow had stopped. There was no build-up. I’d be able to ride for the rest of the day.  And – DOUBLE WOW, DOUBLE AMAZING – my saddle bag was still on my bike. It was still zipped.  I opened it. My purse was still inside.  I didn’t bother to open the purse until I took the saddle bag inside at my next stop.  Everything was still in it.


I win the Lucky Ditz of the Day Award.

No comments:

Post a Comment