Friday, August 12, 2011

Last Time I Saw You, You Were an Old Lady



I hadn’t seen my younger daughter in almost 5 months.  


5 months ago, I needed a cane. I had to force myself to walk a few blocks to the nearby park. I had to sit, rather than run after my grandchildren.  I couldn’t join a game of kickball. Every time I moved it felt as if a knife was stabbing me in the hip. 


But in my mind, I still wanted to run after my grand children, kick the ball, climb the slides and play as I had always done.  It never occurred to me that I was acting old.  I didn’t feel old.  I just had a worn-out hip.  A replaceable part.  And I had an appointment with the surgeon.  Why would anybody think I was old?


But my daughter greeted me, "Last time I saw you, you were an old lady."


When I was my daughter’s age, I imagined that somehow people’s thoughts changed as they aged – they no longer wanted to run and kick balls and climb things.  I was never old – in that sense.  But indeed, I did act like the old people I used to watch and wonder what on Earth they were thinking – that they chose to sit rather than play.


Now, I could play again.  My thoughts hadn’t changed.  My body did.

2 comments:

  1. It is still so amazing to me that your surgery and recovery have all taken place, start to finish, within 5 months. You go geezer-girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had an excellent surgeon who got the gadget in through a 3" incision in the front of my thigh. My super PT designed exercises to help me do what I want to do, and made them enjoyable. I'm not all back yet. I could only do 45 minutes of a 1-hour gym class, and I still have pain when I get up from sitting or lying down. I'm still getting stronger. Bottom line, I can now do about 90% of what I want to do. That's way better than 5 months ago when I couldn't do half of what I wanted to do.

    ReplyDelete