Friday, September 27, 2013

Classroom of Chaos

I’m watching my neighbor go through an experience I had over 20 years ago.  She’s a teacher. And she has the Class of Chaos.   I don’t know why the universe puts these kids together. And I have no idea how to cope with them.

This was my first year teaching and I decided I just wasn’t cut out for it. I’m not a disciplinarian. I’m a chemistry teacher.  You can see how I teach if you search for Imagenie on youtube.
Undisciplined children can’t cope with my teaching methods, and I can’t cope with undisciplined 
children.

My neighbor is trained in special education.  She’s good with undisciplined children. She’s been doing this for about 14 years.  The school where she was happy closed, so this year she is at a new school.  It’s walking distance from her home. She was supposed to have only 6 emotionally disturbed students, most of whom have personal aides.

Instead she has eleven students who are not only emotionally disturbed, but who have learning difficulties, and who do not have personal aides.  Most of these students are from low income families who rely on the school food program.  The school food program has been economizing and the children are still hungry after they’ve eaten their allotment.

My neighbor knows she can teach the children who have the types of problems she was trained for.  She was not trained for this.  She just bought a house.  She was confident in her career.  Now she’s been injured trying to break up fights.  She comes home crying because no learning is going on in her classroom. And she’s thinking about quitting.

I have a two income household.  I have a 2nd skill.  This is her career. She’s 6 years away from retirement.  And she can’t do this.  She’s not eating. She’s not sleeping. She’s not teaching.

I have no answers for her – but I know she’s not the only one in this situation.  She became a teacher in order to make a difference.  Until now, she has.  It would be a shame for children of the future to lose her talents just because of this Classroom of Chaos.  But she has to survive.   

No comments:

Post a Comment