Friday, January 31, 2014

Getting a Seat on the Bus

There’s a yellow triangle on the wall or window above the seats near the front of the bus. The words on the triangle read: “Please Yield to Disabled or Seniors.”

Usually these seats are occupied by elementary school aged children or teens listening to their tunes.  I’m strong. I don’t usually ask for a seat. 

Today there was an empty seat so I took it.  A few blocks later another senior woman got on. She asked a few of the children if she could have a seat.  They ignored her.  A senior gentleman got up and gave her his seat.

A senior woman near me, who has a cane, turned to me.  “Yesterday, I asked a teen for his seat and he ignored me.  So I stood next to him and glared at him.  He said, ‘If you’re going to stand there and stare at me, you should get off the bus.’ His book bag was on the floor in front of him blocking the aisle. At the next stop, I picked up his book bag and I threw it out the door.  Then I said, ‘ Now you’re getting off the bus.’”

I wouldn’t have had the courage to do that, but I totally support her right to do that.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Love throwing the book bag out the door.

    ReplyDelete