Wednesday, February 12, 2014

I’ve been trying for 3 days now to get Comcast to fix their Domain Name Server (DNS) so that it will recognize a site that I visit.

Every time I call their tech support, or use their webchat, they ask me my phone number, my account number, my social security number, my operating system, which browser I’m using, have I cleaned my cache and cookies, have I checked my firewall, have I flushed my local DNS, and they claim all this is for the security of my account.  Bah – it’s a total time waster.  

It is not possible to be transferred to the liveware at telephone tech support until your account has been verified by the robot answering program.  It is also not possible to enter webchat without first logging into your account.  They know who you are.  

I finally told them that it is not for the security of my account and I refuse to give them more than my account number and operating system, which is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit, Service Pack 1.

After they give up on getting the trivia, the insanity truly begins.

They want to know:

What browsers have I tried?  What versions?  Then they claim they don’t support the latest versions. They want the versions from several years ago.

Have I accessed this website before? Yes, monthly. And I’ve accessed it via the IP address.  I’ve also accessed it via hideme.be which is an anonymizer that allows me to use a different DNS.

They have me perform some rudimentary diagnostics.  I tell them I do computer tech support for my profession. I’ve cleaned my caches, deleted by cookies, checked my firewall. No, my computer is not set to work offline. Yes, I’m sure my computer currently has an active connection to the internet. No, I don’t want them to send a reboot signal to my modem.  Yes, I use a router. Yes, my computer is connected to the router by a cable. Not by Wifi.  No, I’m not using a Mac OS (which should have been obvious when I told them what my operating system is.)  And No, I haven’t contacted Windows (which they think is the company that makes Windows). I tried to explain that Windows is made by Microsoft.

Each of the 4 representatives must have had this same nonsensical script.  The problem is the Comcast DNS.  I reiterated this.  I resorted to webchat because I found myself using my Mean Voice.  I don’t have a mean keystroke to irritate them with.

The 4th time through I had a brilliant idea.  “Would you like me to call the company and find out if other Comcast customers are having trouble?”   “That won’t be necessary.”

Aha!  I called the company.  Yes, they are aware that other Comcast customers are having this problem.  

I duly reported this to my 4th inquisitor. I gave her the phone number for the company so she could verify my report.

Finally, the Comcast Customer Support person agreed to report the problem to the Comcast Technical Support.

Then, silly human, the Customer Support person asked, “Is there was anything else you want?”

So, I said “Yes. I’ve wasted about 4 hours on this gobbledygook.  I want a free month of service.”

To my surprise, the Customer Support person said she would give me a credit.

I doubt Comcast will give me a free month.  But I make more than $50 for 4 hours work.

And I think the only way they’ll learn to respect customers if they have to pay for it.

I just checked – Comcast is now letting me access this website by typing its URL in the address bar.   Hurray!

So, if Comcast is blocking you from one of your favorite sites, call the company first.  And then report to Comcast.  Don’t wait until call #4.

No comments:

Post a Comment