Monday, May 16, 2016

Stuff they don't teach in PE

The stuff they didn’t teach me in PE.

What to do when I’m in pain.
What to do to avoid pain.

So, now, as a geezer I’m having to learn that stuff.

Several weeks ago, I woke up with what felt like bones grinding together in my low back.  The last time I felt that I went to the chiropractor who told me I had a slipped disk. I tried the exercises and bouncing on my yoga ball, like he prescribed last time. It didn’t work.

I went back to my chiropractor. This time, he said it was tight muscles. He didn’t give me exercises. He just told me to do exercises that don’t hurt.  That meant riding my bike even if I was only traveling a few blocks. The pain continued.

I surfed the web. Two types of exercise seem get the most recommendations: rolling a foam cylinder on thighs and back, and using either tennis balls or pinky balls to apply pressure to trigger points.

The pressure point balls helped in the morning, but by evening the pain was back.  I tried the foam roller in the evening. The rolling made me sore.  The rolling instructions said if you find a tender spot give it extra rolls.  I don’t like pain, so I figured that was a bad idea.  I was sore in the morning. Not the grinding sensation. Just all over ouch. I put ice on it. No progress.

I went back to the chiropractor.  He seemed to think I was getting better.  So, I asked, “Am I doomed to be an old lady for the rest of my life?”  He laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment