Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Perils of Tooth Brushing

On my recent visit to my dentist, I had a worn out filling that had to be replaced.  No new decay. No gum disease. Very little for the hygienist to scrape off my teeth.
My only problem was that the cold water being squirted into my mouth hurt.
I asked the hygienist about it.
She told me that the same tooth brushing and flossing that keeps my mouth disease free damages the gums. Quite simply, the gums are worn down at the base of the teeth and now the cold water can land on exposed roots.
She gave me a tube of temperature sensitive toothpaste. The instructions are to brush my teeth and floss them as I usually do at night, and then smear this paste on them and let it sit all night. She claims in a few months, my teeth won’t be cold sensitive any more, but I have to do this for the rest of my life. Or there is surgery, that will temporarily build up the gums, but brushing will wear them down again.

One more problem with growing old.

1 comment:

  1. The woman that cleans my teeth knows to never squirt me with cold water. She also can't use the mint toothpaste to polish, the mint on the tooth roots is too painful. The bubble gum flavor is disgusting, but doesn't hurt. Getting older is truly a pain.

    ReplyDelete